Do you want to know what can help you keep gum disease away? We have a few tips that can help you with this goal.
Know that anything that keeps plaque away can be beneficial for you. Plaque is what causes gum disease because it is made of bacteria. If given the chance, the bacteria will work their way into your gum tissue. Here is what you can do to keep them out:
– Brush and floss: If you hold to the practice of brushing and flossing every day, you can remove the plaque to a safer location, namely the bathroom sink drain.
– Visit the dentist: Not all the plaque can be removed by your brushing and flossing, but making semi-annual trips to the dentist allows us to clean out what may have gotten left behind.
– Eat and drink enough Vitamin C: Vitamin C is vital for your immune system, so it can give it more of what it needs to face off against bacteria that cause gum disease and other illnesses.
– Quit smoking: We understand this can be difficult, but the smoke can make both your immune system and your gums weaker and susceptible to gum disease. If you quit, they can become stronger.
– Straighten out crowded and misaligned teeth: If you find it difficult to get to certain areas with your brush and floss because your teeth are not straight or spaced out enough, orthodontic work can help you resolve the issue so you can clean those areas.
Those are some of the things you can do to keep yourself healthy. If you have more questions or would like to set up an appointment, feel free to call Dental Arts Of Blue Bell in Blue Bell, Pennsylvania by dialing 215-643-9430. Dr. Johnston and Dr.Rosenman can guide you to what you need to keep your mouth in good health.